One of the most frustrating things when you're building your social community is losing followers. Especially when you've just hit a milestone! Let's discuss how to keep your followers, so you can keep that social empire thriving.
1. Be relevantMake sure the content you are posting is relevant to your brand and will interest the people following you. Posting irrelevant tweets or content is a sure fire way to lose followers. Remember, these people followed you for a reason, because they are interested in your niche, so don't stray too far, too often.
2. InteractionTalk to them! Interact with your followers, get on their level. The more you interact, the more respect and engagement you will receive. So make some time to have a chat with the people who are making the effort to look at your posts.
3. ControversyControversial topics such as politics or religion should be handled carefully. A tweet or Facebook status can be misinterpreted easily and you want to avoid causing offence. One of the most common reasons for people unfollowing others recently has been for taking strong stances on controversial topics, especially if they have opposing views. Just because something is trending, doesn't mean you should wade in. Approach controversial areas with huge caution, or expect to see a drop in followers.
4. Stop with the auto messagesAuto DMs and messages can be seen as really annoying to a high proportion of users. While you think you are sending a message straight to them with your call to action, a lot of people will see this as an impersonal and sometimes desperate plee. If you want to thank someone for following, take the time to do this instead of setting up auto messages.
5. Avoid drastic changesI've mentioned this under relevance, but if you want to keep your followers then don't make any drastic changes. They followed you for a reasons, so if you all of a sudden change your content theme, or even your tone of voice, this could put them off. Take the time to develop your themes and social voice before you reach big follower milestones, or make any changes gradually.
6. Don't bombard them, but don't disappearIt's important that you find your optimum posting frequency. Cluttering your followers timelines and News Feeds is annoying and they might unfollow because you are bombarding them. If you're not posting at all, or very little, they might find you less relevant and you also risk not gaining many new followers. Find an ideal balance and try to stick to it.
7. Let them get to know youGiving you brand a personality and letting people in is a great way to keep your followers. Social media users want to interact with brands and businesses and feel like they are connecting with a person not a corporate object. Let your followers meet the people behind the brand, and add a personal touch to posts.
Those are my 7 top tips to keep your followers on social media. What is your advice? Let me know in the comments below.
If you liked this post, why don't you follow me to keep up to date?