I love reviewing skincare products and my collection is probably borderline obsessive. A good skin care routine is vital and not just to look good, taking good care of your skin can improve your overall health. It’s not just about your face, I’m talking every inch of skin on your body. But why is skincare so important?
There is probably a lot about the skin you don’t know, but you really should in order to understand how important it is to take care of it.
Neglected skin can not only make you look tired, unhealthy or older than you really are, it also serves many other functions.
The skin offers protection from the sun’s rays and harmful toxins that could cause disease or infection, produces vitamin D and regulates body temperature.
As you get older, the link between the epidermis and dermis is weakened and they start to separate. This is why we get lines and wrinkles! I wish I could tell you that maintaining a good skincare routine would prevent this, but unfortunately not. However, it will delay this happening and keep skin looking young and fresh for longer.
Poorly cared for skin also takes longer to recover from blemishes and scars. In fact, healthy skin has a much lower risk of scarring entirely from some injuries.
Unfortunately, there is not one product that can fix it all, and I certainly can’t tell you what to use. It is not always about having the most expensive or well known brands. Although I can recommend products that I have great experiences with, it is important to find the products that work best for your skin.
A good skin care routine would include:
- Cleansing, toning and moisturising every day – Find the products right for your skin and stick to them. Constantly changing products is not good for the skin either
- Exfoliation once or twice a week – My advice with exfoliation would be to use a light exfoliator for your face and normal for your body. You can get some that are suitable for face and body but pick the one that works best for your skin
- Daily SPF protection – This can be found in moisturisers, tanning products and foundations. Remember that you should use sun protection even if it is raining, just as extra protection.
- Exercise – regular exercise can keep your skin looking healthy and vibrant
- A balanced diet – the food we eat reflects in our skin. Make sure you are getting enough of each food group and keeping you vitamin levels topped up
- Hydration – if you don’t drink enough water throughout the day your skin will begin to look dull and tired
- Washing – clean skin is very important. Remove your make up properly before bed. If you use soap, try not to use a chemically heavy on and don’t use hot water on your skin as this can dehydrate it. Stick to warm or cool water.
Make it a priority to find the perfect solution for you and stick at it.
If you liked this post, why don't you follow me to keep up to date?